We hope to see you in Cape Town next year!
Africa is urbanising rapidly, raising enormous infrastructural and transport challenges that jeopardise the social and economic potential of the continent. Already, its countries contend with the immense challenge of providing sustainable and affordable connectivity and accessibility within and between cities, between countries and with the rest of the world. Both in terms of passenger transport as well as in terms of freight transport and logistics.
These challenging conditions, however, also provide transport professionals with a wealth of interesting and relevant opportunities to advance transport research and solutions for Africa and beyond.
The first ever African Transport Research conference (ATR-2024) will bring together a wealth of interesting and relevant opportunities to advance transport research and solutions in Africa and for Africa – in a beautiful world-class conference setting in Cape Town, South Africa. Organisers are Centre for Transport Studies of the University of Cape Town, in partnership with the Volvo Research and Educational Foundations (VREF). For VREF the conference is a part of their Mobility and Access in African Cities programme (MAC).
The conference is open to researchers from all over the world who work on African transport in their scholarly activities.
The conference welcomes contributions to transport studies in Africa (and related fields), encompassing work on all land-based transport modes (including passenger and freight) in both urban and rural contexts and across six thematic areas:
- User needs and practices, equity issues
- Governance, politics, institutions and finances
- Emerging business models and service options
- Safety, health and the environment
- System design and modal integration
- Analytical tools and emerging technologies
All papers must be original and not simultaneously submitted to another journal or conference. We follow a three-staged process of review of Extended Abstracts, followed by submission of Full Papers ahead of the conference, and a selection thereof for publication in African Transport Studies:
- 1 April 2023: Call for Extended Abstracts (3-5 pages)
- Submission link: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=1statr.
- Extended abstracts should be at least three pages, but not more than five pages in length including the references.
Word limit is 1500 – 2,000 words and must include Title, Author(s), Affiliation, Introduction, Main Body Text (including a concise review of extent literature, methodology, findings, discussion, and conclusion sections), References.
- 1 July 2023: Deadline for Abstracts
- 1 September 2023: Notification of Acceptance
- 1 December 2024: Full Paper Deadline
- 5 – 7 March 2024: Conference’
Authors of selected papers invited to submit to the new Elsevier Journal African Transport Studies.
Graduate School of Business Conference Centre, University of Cape Town, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town, South Africa
• Karin Henriksson (Communications Officer, VREF)
• Professor Jane Summerton (Scientific Advisor, VREF)
• Henrik Nolmark (Director, VREF)
• Professor Mark Zuidgeest (University of Cape Town)
• Professor Marianne Vanderschuren (University of Cape Town)
• Professor Roger Behrens (University of Cape Town)
• Dr Obiora Nnene (University of Cape Town)
All info published on this page can also be downloaded as a pdf.